Are you currently working in the United States as a registered nurse? If you are interested in learning how to effectively ‘climb the ladder of success’ in a much shorter period of time, you have come to the right place. Below is a useful guide for effectively fast-tracking your career and immediately starting on the path.
What Are My Options?
Most registered nurses will gradually ascend in their positions by putting in plenty of hard work and remaining at a specific healthcare practice for an extended period of time. The combination of diligence and loyalty is often what gets them noticed by their superiors, eventually resulting in promotions, pay raises, and more responsibilities.
However, while hard work will still be required, there is a faster way in which to take your nursing career to new heights. Now is the time to consider doing research into the various accelerated RN to BSN programs online!
What is an Accelerated RN to BSN Program?
An accelerated RN to BSN program is a program that will lead to you being able to obtain your Bachelor of Science in Nursing in a drastically reduced amount of time. Usually, you will have your degree in less than one year!
Why Study Towards a BSN?
You may be wondering what the benefits of studying towards a BSN degree are, especially considering the fact that you are already working within the healthcare industry as a nurse. The reality is that BSN qualified nurses have a number of advantages over registered nurses. For example, they tend to:
- Earn higher salaries
- Get promoted to senior and supervisory positions faster
- Be entrusted with a larger number of important responsibilities, thus giving them more opportunities to make an impact and stand out from the crowd
What to Expect from Taking an Accelerated RN to BSN Program Online
It is important to remember that each accelerated BSN program will vary from institution to institution. So, be sure to do plenty of research before signing up. In general, however, here is what you can expect from such a program in the USA.
- A strong focus on the practical aspects of nursing. Considering that you will already have a solid foundation when it comes to the fundamentals of nursing, most online ABSN courses have a strong focus on the practical aspects of nursing. This usually means that you will be required to accumulate a certain number of hours working in a clinic or hospital setting under the watchful eye of an appointed mentor. The number of hours will vary; however, you can expect to have to accumulate an average of 720 hours in total in order to obtain your degree.
- The ability to complete the majority of your coursework online. Along with practical nursing, you will also have a specific amount of coursework to get through within a stipulated time frame. Most courses, excluding practicals, will extend across a period of three to 10 weeks.
- Clinical placements based on your needs and location. Many reputable online education providers will offer a clinical placement service included in your course fees. The provider will place you at a respected clinic or hospital where you will have everything required to excel and maximize your learning experience. However, if you would like to continue your learning at your current place of work, or if you have a specific placement site in mind, it is usually possible to negotiate suitable placement in this regard with the relevant authorities ahead of time. The goal is to ensure that your placement is convenient for you, all the while improving your chances of securing a job offer following the completion of your ABSN course.
The Benefits of an Online ABSN Course
You will have the option to sign up to take your ABSN at either a traditional college or university, or via an online education institution. There are countless benefits to opting for the latter. Here are a few to keep in mind:
- Maximum flexibility: This is obviously the leading benefit, especially for registered nurses who want to continue working a few shifts throughout their period of study. For many, this is a must, especially if they are to earn enough money to make ends meet while they work towards furthering their career. Studying online means that, to a certain extent, you are in control of your time and when you put in the work. You can also often work at your own pace. However, you will still need to adhere to deadlines in terms of submitting assignments and taking your exams.
- Boosting important life skills: Studying online requires a lot of self-discipline and perseverance. You will learn how to manage your time more effectively and how to motivate yourself even when you are feeling unfocused or distracted. You will also need to solve problems and overcome various challenges along the way, leading to improved problem-solving skills, along with a hearty boost in confidence.
- Enhanced affordability: You will come to find that taking an accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing online is significantly more affordable than taking it at a traditional learning institution. In fact, it can prove to be hundreds of dollars cheaper per credit hour.
- Optimized support: Most online learning providers will have an impressive support structure in place in an effort to help students maximize their chances of success within their year of study. In most cases, you will be able to access support and helpful resources on a 24/7 basis. You may even be teamed up with your own student success advisor whom you can contact whenever required.
If you are reading this, you likely very passionate about what you do and are ready to take the next steps. Now that you know how simple it can be to obtain your BSN, it’s time to start researching the different course options available. Be sure to select a reputable learning institution, as this can have a huge impact on your employability potential in the future.